ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:46:53 -0500
What a disappointment...

Maine had a skating and puck handling exhibition in the first period, if
only half the shots going wide had been on goal it might be 5-1.
Interesting how Maine plays better on the wider rinks (just like at UNH) it
certainly is a contrast with the days of the "old" Matthews being the
smallest rink in HE and Maine had problems with the reduced confines.

Perhaps the best play was Vitorino's sliding deflection along the ice on a
man coming out of the corner unchecked after the Northeastern rebound shot
on the 3 on 1 in the last minute of the period.  It surely prevented the
old "goal in the last minute" fade problem.

At this point in the game, Fitzy is calling them Maine's way, giving a 5 on
3.  My worry is the old Max Factor -- (AKA Make-up Call)

Jaaskelainen's interference call in the early second period was
questionable, his second in the same period was suspiciously timed so soon
after the second Maine goal.

Maine was cycling the puck very well before the second goal, and Steve
Kariya never stopped moving throughout.  His shot from the high slot was a
failure of the Northeastern box to cover the man.

For Northeastern's third goal, Northeastern's Barkley ran Michaud after the
goal with a shot to the head, driving Alfie's head into the crossbar.  NO
CALL !!  I swear I could hear the "ding" of the hit.  The go-ahead goal may
have had something to do with Michaud still being woozy after the hit.

I was wondering if Shawn would try the old measure the stick trick, but I
think Crowder would be too smart to let illegal sticks be on the bench in
the third period-- besides, there were no stoppages in play from about the
2:00 mark to the end.

Watching on Sportschannel / Fox ... ( I don't know which I dislike more,
the old Sportschannel which had been owned by my cable company that can't
upgrade our service but buys the bankrupt Nobody Beats the Wiz, or Fox,
which is owned by the despicable Rupert Murdoch)

The Fox student/professor hockey promos are lame, and they ought to ditch
the light/horn after  goals.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Beers may now be in the booth, but Jean-Yves Roy ***
***    should be kept with the big club in Boston     ***
***   Is there anyone better now with Providence ??  ***