ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 20:46:14 EST
I did receive a return e-mail today in answer to my questions from the NCAA.

Of course, I take the consequences ALL OUR GUYS face daily when they play the
game, very seriously, as we all do. But, for me being concerned is not enough
to cause anything but ripples of emotion. I think we each need to do more than
that.

According to Steve Hagwell of the NCAA, the Hockey Rules committee has reason
for concern towards what they feel is an increase in injuries, "specifically
concussions

This topic was discussed in June at the rules meeting and will be on the
agenda again this April at the "American Hockey Coaches Association meeting,
which will include the NCAA ice hockey rules committee, a member of the NCAA
sports sciences staff, members from the NCAA Competitive Safeguards Committee
and invited personnel who will be conducting a summit on the issues of
concussions."

The NCAA sport's science staff annually accesses injuries of all NCAA sports.

Mr. Hagwell stated that the sport is "at times violent" and there are
instances where players will get hurt, because it is the "nature of the game."
He added ,that the "competitive safeguards committee is taking the necessary
steps to create as safe a playing atmosphere as possible."

I think as parents and fans we owe it to the players to send letters to US
College Hockey Coaches and the NCAA before this April summit to add whatever
public opinion we can muster to help make it a safer game. Those of you who
share in the opinion that the game could be safer can go directly to the NCAA
site or email Steve Hagwell at [log in to unmask]

I'm hoping you're all not NCAA bitten or shy (due to the three years or so of
an unwanted NCAA invasion) and will in fact voice your opinions toward making
the sport safer for the players.

Of course, I will continue to question and update you all!

Vicki Price