ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:14:05 -0500
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/040107umaine.shtml

                     Wednesday, January 7, 2004

                                            Maine a big hit at Merrimack

                        By  KEVIN THOMAS, Portland Press Herald Writer

                      Copyright  2004 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

 UP NEXT

    UP NEXT

 Who: UMaine vs. Sacred Heart

   When: 7 p.m. Saturday

   Where: Alfond Arena, Orono

 NORTH ANDOVER, Mass.  --  At the Thom Lawler Arena on a barren Merrimack College campus, the University of Maine hockey team got tough in a 5-2 victory Tuesday night.

   This cozy rink is normally where Merrimack flexes its muscles, but it was the Black Bears getting in the big hits. Maine gave the Warriors little room to roam.

   "They came in waves," Merrimack Coach Chris Serino said. "They beat us to the puck and they outmuscled us."

   Todd Jackson, Michel Leveille, Derek Damon, Dustin Penner (two assists) and Josh Soares each scored to the delight of a Maine-dominated crowd of 1,858. Merrimack does not have its students back from holiday break yet, so few showed up for this game, which was a makeup from a snowed-out date in December.

   Fourth-ranked Maine improved to 14-4-1 and took over the lead in Hockey East at 7-2-1. The Black Bears lead Boston College by one point, although the Eagles (6-2-1) have a game in hand.

   Merrimack, which had won three straight, dropped to 7-11-3, 2-7-3 as Maine completed a three-game season sweep.

    "I liked a lot of things tonight," Maine Coach Tim Whitehead said. "I thought we protected our net pretty good. We were good in the neutral zone. We clogged things up in all the zones."

   The hard-hitting rout came on the heels of a 6-1 romp over Vermont Sunday in Portland.

   "Ever since Sunday when we played the body real well, we know we'll be on top if we do that consistently," said Damon.

   Frank Doyle made his fifth straight start in goal and stopped 17 shots before yielding to backup Ray Jean (four saves) at 15:32.

   The Black Bears took the lead at 7:10 of the first period on a two-rebound effort. Jeff Mushaluk's wrister from the point hit the post. Penner poked at a rebound, which was blocked to Jackson. He lifted it over Merrimack goalie Jim Healey.

   Four minutes later, defenseman Travis Wight raced down the left boards, centering to Brent Shepheard. His shot was blocked but Leveille knocked in the rebound at 11:27.

   After recording 16 assists, sixth in the nation, Leveille finally got his first goal for the Black Bears. He skated to the bench for congratulations and got the puck for a keepsake.

   "It's a relief," Leveille said.

   Maine appeared to have this game in hand, but Merrimack made good on its first power play. Bryan Schmidt's shot was blocked and the Black Bears tried to clear it. But Schmidt picked up the puck and knocked it in at 15:51, pulling Merrimack within 2-1.

   Maine built the lead back to two 18 seconds into the second period. Defenseman Troy Barnes gathered a loose puck and sent it to Penner, who passed to Damon entering the Warriors' zone. Damon skated to the left circle and sent a quick wrist shot between Healey's pads for a 3-1 lead.

   Mushaluk appeared to make it 4-1 from the blue line at 7:19, but the puck went in the net as the linesman whistled Maine offside, ruling that Mushaluk had moved the puck outside the Maine zone before shooting.

   Merrimack got its best chance to get back into the game after penalties to Jon Jankus for holding and Damon for boarding, giving the Warriors a five-on-three power play for 1:33.

   Merrimack worked the puck around but managed to take just two shots on goal, which Doyle kicked out.

   After the Warriors failed to score, Penner took a pass from Damon just outside the crease and scored at 16:10, giving the Black Bears a 4-1 lead after two.

   "That was the turning point of the game," Whitehead said.

   Maine clinched it 2:03 into the third period when Soares scored on assists from John Ronan and Matt Greyeyes.

   Marco Rosa beat Jean at 18:20 for the final score.

   NOTES: All indications are that Vermont was voted into Hockey East during a meeting of the league's athletic directors Tuesday. League officials won't comment on the vote. They cannot officially accept Vermont as a member until the Catamounts arrange their break from the ECAC either after this season or next.

   Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at:    [log in to unmask]