ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:40:48 -0500
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/040105soll.shtml

                     Monday, January 5, 2004

                     COLUMN: Steve Solloway

                       Looking to the future with an eye on the past

                      Copyright  2004 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

File photo  Former UMaine goalie Matt Yeats is trying to revitalize his pro career after winning a title in his first season in the ECHL.

He walked in off the street Sunday afternoon and did what he had trained himself not to do.

   Matt Yeats looked up at the giant scoreboard. Maine 3, Vermont 0. The second period of this college men's hockey game had just begun. Wow, Yeats said to himself.

   Standing behind the penalty boxes, he scanned the Cumberland County Civic Center. Every seat filled, it seemed. Every body clad in a Maine blue shirt.

   Noise that rang up the decibels. Excitement that buzzed. Wow.

   "It brings back some good memories," said Yeats. "I had some good times at Maine."

   For three seasons he played in goal for the University of Maine. Twice he was voted to the Hockey East all-tournament team. Only Mike Morrison, his teammate, had a better career save percentage among all the men who ever played in Maine's goal.

   Yet the good times were balanced by the sorrowful times. On a chilly, late September morning, Yeats began his last season at Maine by walking into a Bangor church with his teammates for the funeral of their coach.

   Shawn Walsh, father to them all, lost his fight with cancer. Six months later, Yeats ended that season leaning against the sideboards in an arena at St. Paul, Minn., his body heaving with sobs.

   Minnesota had pushed the puck past him in overtime of its game with Maine for the national championship. Minnesota won 4-3 on that April night in 2002. Six months of emotions poured out onto the ice.

   "I think about it sometimes," said Yeats. "There are some things I wish I could do over.

   "I'll never forget that night. Just to get to that game, after all the ups and downs of that season, was a triumph."

   Matt Yeats is a goalie. Long ago, he learned the mantra of all goalies: Move on or condemn yourself to doubt. Remember, but let go.

   After Maine, Yeats signed with the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies of the East Coast Hockey League. He was 23-16-8 with four shutouts last season. More importantly, he was 4-0-1 in the playoffs, leading the Bullies to the championship.

   Yeats and the team couldn't agree on contract terms. The Bullies still hold his rights, but Yeats was able to sign a tryout contract with the Portland Pirates to back up Maxime Ouellet. With Ouellet called up to Washington, Yeats is Rastislav Stana's backup.

   It's a tenuous position. Since he's been with Portland, Yeats has played parts of two games in relief of Ouellet and Stana. That's less than an hour of work, with the minutes coming in November.

   If Sebastian Charpentier returns from Washington to rehab an injury, Yeats could be the odd man out. He lives in a local hotel. The Pirates have not encouraged him to look for an apartment.

   "I know I can play in the AHL," said Yeats. "But there are so many goalies and only so many jobs. It's frustrating."

   He might have stayed in the ECHL but he won't second-guess himself and he won't look back. He is, after all, a goalie.

   "This is where I want to be right now," he said. "All the shots I see in practice help me more than the shots I saw in a game last year."

   Behind him, the crowd roared again for another Maine goal. Yeats didn't look up at the scoreboard. It's hard to break habits.

   "I never wanted to know how much time was left or how many goals we were ahead or behind. You can't let yourself relax."

   He had come late to Sunday's game, after taking his girlfriend to the Portland Jetport. Matt Greyeyes, once Yeats' roommate, scored the first goal of the game and the first of his career, and Yeats missed it.

   This was the first Maine game he's seen since he left Orono. He's a professional hockey player with new priorities. That doesn't stop him from missing his past, when each college hockey game meant so much and was so satisfying when it was won.

   Matt Yeats is moving on. He won't forget where he's been.

   Staff Writer Steve Solloway can be contacted at 791-6412 or at:   [log in to unmask]