ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:52:51 EST
>Anthony DelMonaco <[log in to unmask]> wrote, in part:
>haha...between the storming off the ice and goalie of the year yacey throwing
> his stick into the goal and storming off like a 4 year old kid who couldn't
> have a toy...oh wait...a 4 year old doesn't act that damn pathetic...on anothe
> note, i think prestin stayed relatively calm...i never knew that it was a 2 mi
> penalty for trying to avoid a collision...andrews made the right call on the n
> goal...but there were other calls that were right infront of his face...i can
> think of one where i believe it was greg moore(don't quote me on that one) got
> hit from behind like 2 feet from andrews...no call...to me he never really had
> control...but with all of the poor  officiating, the maine guys, especially
> prestin stayed calm, they didn't get rattled and showed why they are the #3
> team in the country...

Maine was faced with a very "physical" opponent and handled themselves
VERY well, IMHO ...  even Prestin :-;

There was stuff on both sides that I might have whistled, although I
really don't understand linesman T.Law calling the trip, especially when
it was right across the ice from Referee Joe Andrews.  Not that it
wasn't a trip, but it didn't seem like an important call ...  that is
important enough to "overrule" the referee non-call.  I'm guessing that
either I missed something, or T.Law forgot he was a linesman, as his arm
went up very quickly.

My problem with Andrews was his disregard for the rulebook in three
areas: First, he had quick whistles in the corners (let 'em play!).
Second, he rarely called after-the-whistle instigators, letting a few
Maine things go and a lot of Dartmouth stuff go.  Third, Andrews
apparently doesn't believe that a punch requires a DQ in NCAA hockey.
If he did, at least 3 Dartmouth "players" would have seen the locker
room early.

   Mike Tuell, color analyst for TV announcer Joe Carr, had one of his
better nights, I thought. Mike even caught a couple of things Joe missed,
and "missing" doesn't happen very often with that pair ... excellent!

   Mike came up with an "alternative" for Referee Andrews failure to
   call DQs: give the instigator "2 and 10": a 2-minute minor and a
   10-minute misconduct.  The former causes his team 2-minutes a man
   down, and the 10-minutes sends a message.  That's creative solution
   to a push in the face that isn't really a punch.  But the punches I
   saw deserved a DQ (or a change in NCAA rule).

To his defense, I thought Andrews did well to NOT penalize or eject the
Dartmouth coach ...  and make no mistake (as GeorgeB says), the
Dartmouth foul play comes directly from their coach.  Too bad, for this
is a VERY talented Dartmouth team with good speed and large players!

Finally, I thought Joe Andrews made the high-profile, but right call in
waving off the 19:59 Dartmouth (apparent) goal (while I was watching at
the Alfond).  Watching the replay of WABI-TV's coverage tended to
support Andrews, but was inconclusive, IMHO.  The Dartmouth player was
definitely in the crease before the puck, and definitely skated to the
crease, but I couldn't tell if the Maine player he was paired with,
pushed him into the crease.  Someone with a viewpoint at about the Maine
entrance to the ice could probably tell conclusively.

cheers, wayne