ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:23:29 EST
In the Dick Umile era (1990-present), UNH has gone to the NCAA
Tournament an impressive 9 of 13 years.  In addition, they've played in
two National Championship games during that time (1999 vs Maine and 2003
vs Minnesota).  Very impressive!  Really!

Of course, during that period Maine had 9 of 13 appearances, played in
four National Championship games (1993, 1995, 1999 and 2002) and won
half of them (1993 and 1999)! Not bad for a team coming out of the woods.

Make no mistake: The UNH fans are VERY sensitive about this, so it's
probably not fair to make this slur too often.  As one piece of
evidence, I'll offer that minutes before the end of last seasons'
National Championship game, the isles were filled with UNH fans
deserting their team.  For that matter, with about half the 3rd period
to go and with the game tied, MN scored.  Many UNH fans slumped and were
quiet.  Final score: 5-1.

No, I don't think it fair to call UNH by the subject of this post.

Bonus question:

   Who won the last two (2) Hockey East Association Regular Season and
   Tournament Championships?

cheers, wayne