ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:26:03 -0700
Ok, ok… I’ll admit to stirring the pot a little bit since it is the
offseason and all.  The Minnesota boosters probably didn’t line Pi’s
pockets…. Just some travel expenses, you know, to get him home “safely”
and “healthy”.

*grin*

I have a friend, who reads this list, who swears that officials in most
sports are no better than Pete Rose --- betting on games, and the such.
 This is why most of his sports teams lose.

It is possible that he is wrong and that didn’t happen either!

*more grins*

I am a Red Sox fan, so I should be used to having the other shoe drop,
like it did that fateful night in St. Paul, right?  Wouldn’t this be
just like the Red Sox to have the World Series within their grasps,
give up a late run in the 9th and lose it on a poor call in extra
innings?

But maybe Maine hockey and now the Patriots are spoiling me!  Certainly
the Patriots proved that dreams can come true and we all thought the
same might happen with our beloved Black Bears.  The story was perfect,
it was (as I believe Tom Reimman said) almost like it was our destiny
to win it all.

Those dreams die hard.  They may never totally fade.  Ask UNH.  They
felt it in 1999, so close, yet so far.  For once we almost have
something in common with our little brothers to the south and west.  Of
course, Marcus Gustafsson didn’t score on a power play either.

Wayne wrote:  “He [Peter Metcalf] smeared a fine person's character and
reputation. He, on the stage provided by the NCAA, smeared the NCAA. I
cringed when I heard him make those remarks, and it upsets me to read
this "support", albeit in a fanatics group. :-( “

Peter was angry and he was hurt.  We think as fans that we felt bad at
the result, I can’t begin to imagine what Peter felt like.  It must
have killed him.  But it is only a game, right?

Personally, I am sick of how our society has become so weak when it
comes to speaking your mind.  We can’t say “this” or say “that” anymore
because we’ve become so politically correct.  The NCAA is an
organization that should be open to criticism and as an official, Pi
should also not be beyond comment either.

Now in all seriousness, I agree that Peter did not do himself or the U
any favors by his comments.  You are right.  They were not classy.  But
they were raw and they were real, and I do have a hard time crucifying
him for that.  It was a real, and human reaction to not being to fill a
promise to a grieving family.

And continuing to be serious… I do not think Pi was actually
anti-Maine, such as Peter suggests.

This support for Peter upsets you, and I can appreciate that, but what
upsets me is the lack of consistency in officiating that this overtime
highlighted. (and it went both ways I agree)

Many of you have been on this list and read enough of my ramblings to
know that I rarely, if ever, blame the officials for game outcomes.
Technically speaking, I don’t blame Pi for this game either, since if
Maine does its job, we win in regulation time.  End of story.

What upsets me (still) is the obvious lack of consistency in that
overtime.  To let go those calls against Hauser (calls that would have
been very unpopular with the crowd) and then to call Schutte on his
penalty, just isn’t fair.  (Yeah, life isn't fair, I know.) Certainly
it wasn’t consistent, nor was Schutte hauling him down on a breakaway
either (yeah, I know he had speed going through the neutral zone, but
Liscak was forechecking ALONE in the Minnesota zone when Hauser
interferred with him).

Pi might be a great person, a great dad, incredibly charitable <insert
adjective here>, but he still is not beyond criticism for how he does
his very public job.

But I find it strange that we can slam Peter for having a human
reaction, but not Pi.  He is human and how can you not be somewhat
influenced by such a rabid scene in St. Paul?  He didn't want to call a
penalty on Minnesota in overtime, not because he hated Maine or wanted
the Gophers to win either.  I think the crowd may have influenced him,
however slightly, and the result was unfortunate.  He may be a
professional, but college is not like the NHL.  How often does he
officiate in front of 20,000?  A couple times a year?  Maybe he does
some pro games that I am not aware of, but that scene was crazy and
unlike anything I've seen, albeit from televsion, but it was
unbelievable!!  ( I also think it is great for college hockey too!)

I don't think we should string him up from the Paul Bunyon statue, but
I don't think we should say he is beyond crticism either.  He blew it
and it *contributed* to the outcome.

Since we've got nothing better to do than to continue this discussion,
I ask this… would Peter’s comments been any more appropriate (or easier
to take) had he made them to Larry Mahoney at Bangor International when
he returned home?

Hope everyone is enjoying their off-season!!

-Deron