ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:38:14 EDT
Well, maybe because no one has taken the other side ...

>You'll also never find Peter's comments in any official transcript of
>the interview from the NCAA.  They censored his comments, then turn
>around and fine the university.

When I looked a couple of weeks ago, Peter's comments were available
via video on the NCAA web site ... uncut and in context.

The NCAA did not (other than the video) *publish* the comments. Peter
had his say.

>Never confuse the NCAA with anything but an authoritarian hand over a
>group of subjects (student-athletes) that make them a ton of money.

The NCAA is a non-profit organization run by member colleges. They
handle a lot of money, they pay expenses and pay some salaries.

>How much did Peter's inspired play (and that of his teammates)
>contribute to the NCAA's pocket?  Who knows exactly, but if you aren't
>going to pay the athletes that make the NCAA all this money, you might
>as well let them say what they want -- you know, that crazy First
>Amendment thing and everything.  Theoretically, they shouldn't have

Doesn't anyone know what right the First Amendment guarantees anymore?

The NCAA orchestrates national championships for member schools. To do
a good job at that, there must be rules.

>anything to complain about, you know, if you are doing a good job and
>stuff.  :-)
>
>I don't fault Peter for his comments and I'm glad the U is just going

Too bad.  I find Peter at fault for most inappropriate remarks.  We can
try to excuse them due to timing and circumstance, but they were "bar
room" or maybe locker room remarks, not at all classy, appropriate or
even without a shred of truth.  He smeared a fine person's character and
reputation.  He, on the stage provided by the NCAA, smeared the NCAA.

I cringed when I heard him make those remarks, and it upsets me to read
this "support", albeit in a fanatics group. :-(

>to pay the fine and move on.  But,let's not forget that Peter wouldn't
>have even made his comments if the ref had called any one of the
>infractions committed by the goalie, Adam Hauser (the ref had plenty of
>material to choose from).  While it won't ever change the result, the
>outcome of the biggest game of the year had a "home-town" feel to it
>and that alone should prompt the NCAA to look closely at whether this
>referee should be in charge of the championship game again.

Bull.

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing