ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 16:12:44 -0700
You'll also never find Peter's comments in any official transcript of
the interview from the NCAA.  They censored his comments, then turn
around and fine the university.

Never confuse the NCAA with anything but an authoritarian hand over a
group of subjects (student-athletes) that make them a ton of money.

How much did Peter's inspired play (and that of his teammates)
contribute to the NCAA's pocket?  Who knows exactly, but if you aren't
going to pay the athletes that make the NCAA all this money, you might
as well let them say what they want -- you know, that crazy First
Amendment thing and everything.  Theoretically, they shouldn't have
anything to complain about, you know, if you are doing a good job and
stuff.  :-)

I don't fault Peter for his comments and I'm glad the U is just going
to pay the fine and move on.  But,let's not forget that Peter wouldn't
have even made his comments if the ref had called any one of the
infractions committed by the goalie, Adam Hauser (the ref had plenty of
material to choose from).  While it won't ever change the result, the
outcome of the biggest game of the year had a "home-town" feel to it
and that alone should prompt the NCAA to look closely at whether this
referee should be in charge of the championship game again.

-dt