ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:52:58 -0500
> Dan Doucette wrote:
> >If I were the Maine women's hockey coach I would be very, very upset that the AD slapped my program in the face by not offering at least one women's hockey game in the "rivals" bundle.  One should think that if you are
desirous of watching hockey, you'd be favorably inclined to watch....more hockey ?

The point here is to sell tickets and generate interest in the other sports for which gate prices are charged.  Only men's hockey, football, both basketballs and baseball are ticketed sports.  The others are offered to the public at no charge. Attendance at the others is sparse at best, for the most part.  It has to do first with offering competitive opportunities for undergraduate students, not offering entertainment for a fan base of indeterminate size.

The women's hockey team is not a ticketed sport and they have no attendance to speak of ... 50 people at a game is a big crowd.  Just because people love Maine men's hockey doesn't mean that the women's team would be the next biggest attraction in bundling tickets.  Unfortunately, Dan, if you build it, they don't always come! :-)

President, M Club
Co-Advisor, All Maine Women
19 Annbar Drive, Old Town ME 04468
207-827-8386