ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Pat Leathers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:21:45 -0500
Sorry about replying to this post, but I trashed the "pooka" listing of 2 BU
tickets for this weekend.  If still available, I'd like to buy them.
Thanks, Pat Leathers

>From: Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: UMaine buries Gophers
>Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:13:03 -0400
>
>This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).
>
>Comments from Sender:
>
>This story can be found online at:
>http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/031011umaine.shtml

>                      Saturday, October 11, 2003
>
>                                             UMaine buries Gophers
>

>                         By JOHN FEY, Special to Portland Press Herald
>
>                       Copyright  2003 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.
>

>  OMAHA, Neb. -- For the University of Maine hockey team, the pain of the
>2002 loss to Minnesota in the NCAA championship game festered.
>
>     The Black Bears had to wait an entire season to get a shot at avenging
>the heartbreaking 4-3 overtime loss in St. Paul, Minn.
>
>     Funny thing, they had to travel halfway across the country to shock
>the two-time defending champion and top-ranked Gophers 4-0 Friday night in
>the first round of the Maverick Stampede at Omaha's new Quest Arena.
>
>     Maine Coach Tim Whitehead couldn't help but smile when asked if he was
>  slightly surprised, a lot surprised or not surprised at all with his
>team's performance.
>
>     "I guess I'm a little surprised," Whitehead said. "It was a great team
>effort. It was one of those games where we tried to focus on blocking shots
>and staying with our man."
>
>     The Bears did all of that and more behind sophomore goaltender Jimmy
>Howard, who turned back all 25 shots the Gophers tossed his way.
>
>     Todd Jackson scored twice, including the game's first goal -- a
>short-hander at 5:48 -- which set the tone. Derek Damon and Colin Shields
>sandwiched goals between Jackson's as Maine won a season opener for the
>seventh straight year.
>
>     Jackson, the Bears' senior forward and captain, said the team had
>extra motivation for paying back the Gophers.
>
>     "You don't forget about something like that (overtime loss)," Jackson
>said. "I think it showed tonight."
>
>     Jackson's goal came while his team was playing short-handed on the
>game's first penalty, a hooking call on Tom Zabkowicz. Jackson found
>himself with the puck and tucked it in the right corner of the crease off
>Minnesota goalie Justin Johnson.
>
>     "I think for a lot of guys, we didn't know how we'd stack up against
>Minnesota," Jackson said. "To score that first goal meant a lot."
>
>     It meant a lot to the Bears to have a hot sophomore goalie. Howard
>wasn't tested as much as one might expect from the team that lost just
>three players off last year's squad and returned 88 percent of its goal
>scoring, including 11 of its top 12 scorers.
>
>     Asked about posting a shutout on opening night, Howard said: "It's a
>great feeling. It was the icing on the cake to get the shutout. We worked
>really hard all week."
>
>     Maine stunned the Gophers with Damon's quick strike 20 seconds into
>the second period. Shields' score came at 7:17, and Jackson pretty much
> [...]

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa