ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:34:05 EST
Someone wrote..
>About 1,400 total students attended the Maine games this weekend. About
>770 showed up Friday night and about 620 showed up Saturday night.

Well, those were the best 770 & 620 fans (loudest, having a great time)
I've seen in a long time!

Late in the game Friday night when the community fans were rustling
their children home (both games started later than usual), the "student
sections" were still full and noisy.

Most of the few season ticket holders that chose to not move from their
North-end seats were very happy with their new neighbors.  They loved
the enthusiasm that the students brought!

Everyone must keep selling these new ticket distribution methods, IMHO.
Many students entered the Arena, ticket in hand, to ask me where the
student section was.  Don't get me wrong, I love to be asked and to help
enable people to have a great time at the Arena, but it was my
impression that at many students thought their ticket could have been
any place in the arena, and was probably next to Mr. & Mrs. Ol Fogy.
When I sometimes would point to their ticket and say "Your seat is in
the middle of it!", they'd look at me as if to say "Right, you're a big
help".  :-)

Here's hoping we can find another few hundred such enthusiastic students
to really rock the building.  This team appears to deserve it!

Also, kudos to Coach Walsh for writing to the Maine Campus and getting
out to the Commons to get the word out about the new accessibility and
great program.

Finally, thanks for the word on AudioNet (Broadcast.com), Cathy!  Being
acquainted with college hockey fans across the country (and Canada) as I
am, I know this will be just another sign of how good a program we have.
If you were a recruit, wouldn't you want to hear the excitement of Maine
Hockey every week?  Special thanks to the athletic administrator(s)
making this happen!

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3