ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:56:05 -0700
From http://www.goblackbears.com

June 17, 2003
UMaine Names Guy Perron Men's Ice Hockey Volunteer Assistant Coach

ORONO, Maine-- University of Maine men's ice hockey coach Tim Whitehead
announced today that Guy Perron will serve as volunteer assistant coach
for the 2003-04 season. Perron returns to UMaine after serving as
captain of the Black Bears in 1988-89 and 1989-90. He was also an
assistant coach at UMaine in 1991-92 and 1994-95.

Perron, a 1990 graduate of the University of Maine, was a four-year
letterwinner with the Black Bears. He played in 136 career games,
scoring 62 goals and adding 84 assists for 146 career points. He left
UMaine ranked ninth on both the school's career goals and career
assists lists and seventh in career points. In his first season, Perron
helped lead the Black Bears to their first of four consecutive trips to
the NCAA Tournament.

"I am thrilled to have Guy Perron back at the University of Maine for
the upcoming season," said head coach Tim Whitehead. "He is an
excellent coach and an outstanding person."

Perron will work primarily with the forwards and with video analysis
during the upcoming season. He will also be finishing his masters in
educational administration while at UMaine.

"I am excited to return to my alma mater after serving as an assistant
coach in 1991-92 and 1994-95," said Perron. "I hope that I will be able
to contribute to a successful upcoming season."

Perron comes to UMaine from the Chicago Freeze of the North American
Hockey League where he served as head coach from 1997 through 2003. He
compiled a record of 167-150-19 with the Freeze, while leading them to
the playoffs in each of his six seasons behind the bench.

Prior to coaching the Chicago Freeze, Perron served as an assistant
coach at Dartmouth College from 1995 through 1997. He also coached at
Bangor High School from 1992-1994 where he compiled a record of 20-21
in two seasons. In his rookie season, he was named Class A Coach of the
Year after leading the Rams to the state playoffs.

After graduation from UMaine, Perron played professionally in Sweden at
the Division I level before returning to the United States to accept a
position at UMaine.

Perron is also involved with the Huron Hockey School where he has been
an instructor for the past 10 years.