EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Antony Adolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 10:55:52 -0700
M. Romano, M. Weilder and all interested parties,

M. Romano's comment on my line of inquiry, what he called the 'serious use of multiple real languages',  hit the nail right on the head. Apart from a few psycho- and socio- linguists, few have taken the stylistics and politics of multilingual texts 'seriously'. The best books on the subject I have found have been 'The Poet's Tongues', 'Macaronic Sermons', an Italian book on the Carmina Burana, and one on Gadda. If anyone knows of any others that are worth looking at, I'd be grateful. I would also like to thank M. Romano for getting the 'gist' of what I was trying, but obviously failing, to get at.

However, in response to M. Romano's comment on my broad use of the word 'utterance': if you can explain to me how either a treaty put forth by a State, corporate or not, a billboard, or rock'n'roll lyrics were put together without an emodied subject producing them, I'd be grateful. I guess you would be one of those scientists who refused to believe that the whole universe is made up of protons, neutrons and electrons, or in today's weltenshaung, neutrinos. Pound's idea of 'virtu' seems appropriate here somehow.

I was happy to read M. Wilder's questions/comments; at quite a few instances I was reading my own thoughts, in an Emersonian kind of way.

In response:

My intentions are indeed utopian; to quote JFK: 'Some to look to the past and ask 'why?' I look to the future and ask 'why not?'' Academia after post-structuralism needs a little idealism, I think; do you think otherwise?

As for macaronics providing an produce "extra stability," as I said before, i am working on the semiotics. All I know is that the Saussurian tradition has been pretty much fruitless for me; Pierce has offered some insights. I find I'm having to go back to Augustine and Maimonides for leaps and bounds. I'll be spending most of my summer on this, so I'll get back to you.

The concepts of 'open' or 'closed' texts are, I think, artificial, stale and restrictive; all texts are bound by the material in which they are held, and offer quasi-limitless interpretations, ok, ok, let's move on now. How can we think outside this dichotomy? Eternal recurrence? Maslow's pyramid? Game theory? Time for some creativity, I think.

You missed the gist of what I was saying when you wrote 'race, class, and national situation determine much more directly which languages will be most often understood and written, and by whom.' Race, class, and national situations are, first and foremost, language-systems themselves, and thus always already caught in the double bind of determining and being determined by language(s); the 'lines' between races, classes, genders and all the other popular (i.e. facile) topics for cultural critique are first and foremost 'linguistic' (i.e. semiotic) lines that are constantly being crossed and re-crossed. My questions are: How does this crossing take place? What are its effects? Are the beneficial to life in the universe, and if so, how can they be harnessed? All the good old liberal humanist crap, without the liberal humanists shite.

You were, however, right when you wrote 'polyglot context could [not] guarantee stability, because in many cases such hybridity reveals
the instabilities left in place by historical upheaval.' What I am saying is that, if we believe theorists of the past thirty years, conflict-whether linguistic or social- is pretty much inevitable. What I see polyglossia doing is stabilizing this conflict both in terms of quantity and quality. Following Jefferson and Pound, I think a little conflict does the body politic good. If we could understand how languages work together-in-conflict in poetry, maybe we can figure out how 'historical upheaval[s]' can be used mroe fruitfully (see the Malatesta Cantos).

Finally, Pound's legislators have been of the unacknowledged sort, I'm afraid. But think of it: All the teachers who have been touched by Pound are teaching other students how to write and read poetry: dissemination at its finest.

Green eggs and ham,

tony.