ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:44:02 -0500
Let's not take the big step that the season is now in jeopardy.  I have
only seen this team 3 times in person, including Sunday vs. Vermont.  I
would say that Derek may have hit a few notes as the team did not come
out playing an intimidating style and let Vermont control the tempo
earlier with their style of play.

I do think the losses of Hamilton and Shepherd hurt our depth and our
ability to play physical along the wall, which was more the Catamounts
style.  Maine played a solid game but did not get any second chances in
front of the net, as Russell did a good job smothering rebounds and on
the occasions when there was a rebound Maine did not win those battles.

It is imperative for Maine to win the last two hockey east games if we
harbor any hopes of winning the regular season title.  Second half of
the year will be a test as every weekend is a doubleheader and with our
depth reduced by two seasoned forwards we can ill afford injuries.  One
thing that has worked against Maine of late IMHO is the schedule.  This
one game a week makes it difficult to get into a rhythm.  I think we
all would have taken a 9-4 start, but not after we were 9-2 and with 3
of the losses coming in Hockey East and 2 at home.

Providence will be a test, but Maine needs a win on Friday to give
themselves some confidence.

Bob Fitta '83