ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:04:34 -0500
I don't normally watch the six o'clock news, but I happened to catch it
tonight and Derek Damon was on talking about (and I am paraphrasing
here) how the last few games Maine didn't come out with much fire and
intensity and part of the blame lies with him and the captains and that
has to change.  He wasn't making excuses, but rather he was saying this
was the area for improvement going forward.  Maybe he was taken out of
context by the interviewer.  TV interviews are infamous for that.

Regardless, this has seemingly been a reoccuring theme over the last few
years -- has it not?  (Not being ready to play 60 minutes -- too little
too late -- not enough intensity, etc.).

My question posed for discussion is this:

Is this just the nature of the college hockey game and is it asking too
much for players to be fired up and intense each game, especially when
playing for a program like Maine where you have passionate fans home AND
on the road?

Or (as someone eluded to in a recent post) are we so distracted with our
problems off the ice that we can't fully prepare to play 60 minutes with
the players we've got left and (taking it one step further) are we
distracted to the point where our season may be in jeopardy?

Discuss.

-Deron
--
  Deron Treadwell