ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:03:06 -0500
Jon Eggert wrote, in part,  on 11/19/2004 10:48 PM:

> Maine wins 6-2. A frustrating first 22 minutes as Maine dominated but UMass
>had a 2-1 lead. John Ronan, playing his best game as Black Bear tied it up

I've thought John Ronan improved his game impressively for this SEASON!
Nice to see him get rewarded with points and recognition.

>on a beautiful 2 on 1. That changed the whole game as Maine scored 4 more in
>what turned into a rout. I'm glad I'm not a UMass fan, they are so boring to
>watch. Line everyone up on the red line and wait for Maine, hope for a
>turnover but whatever you do, don't forecheck, don't ever forecheck. Ugly
>hockey if you ask me. But it played into Maines hand so I'm happy for the
>win:)
>
>Hey Wayne, what did I tell you about Keenan Hopson. Pretty goal wasn't
>it?:)

That you did!  The Hopson goal was a big-time offensive play ...
beautiful to watch.

Excuse me, please, if I'm reminded of the movie "Major League", where
well into the season the team is about .500 and the manager of a rag-tag
bunch says "I think we're coming around", then some words about rookies
and veterans, then "I think we have some potential all-stars here!".  ;-)

(In a later article, Jon commented on the defence)

I think we're going to see less consistency this year (even from the
better teams) because of the new calling of the rules (*).  We're seeing
the defence adjust, sometimes slowly and with many penalties, but I
think we'll soon see the offences adjust ... and have a more
fan-friendly and higher scoring games ... for those teams that can get
through center ice!

(*) I thought Andrews called a good game Friday night, but it was a
reversion to last season's calls, allowing much of the obstruction to go
uncalled.  I'm still not convinced we'll have obstruction called much at
the end of season ... not just because players adjust, but because, like
every other "point of emphasis", it will fade to what the referees have
always called.

cheers, wayne