ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 11:25:28 -0400
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/stories/030511mainead.shtml

                     Sunday, May 11, 2003

                                            Maine AD dives right in

                        By  JERRY LAUZON, Portland Press Herald Writer

                      Copyright  2003 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

 ORONO  --  Less than a month into his new job, Patrick Nero is already making changes at the University of Maine. Since taking over the athletic director's position in mid-April, Nero has overseen noticeable changes in daily operating practices within the athletic department. And those changes are just the tip of the iceberg.

   Nero promises more changes that promote efficiency, visibility, fiscal responsibility and athletic achievement.

   A grass-roots fund-raising campaign, social responsibility for coaches and athletes, and greater exposure of programs are only a few of Nero's immediate goals. With the state's $1.5 billion deficit a certain hindrance, Nero couldn't guarantee that the school's nearly $10 million athletic budget won't be cut.

   Nero, 37, spent seven years as the senior associate director of athletics at the University of Miami, managing a staff of 42 employees. While in Miami, he directed a $100 million capital campaign for athletics, concentrating on facilities and endowments. A weight-training facility, a track and a soccer stadium were completed during his tenure, and an $8 million baseball stadium renovation is nearly complete. Those improvements and Nero's proven ability to generate much-needed funds were selling points at Maine.

   "There was a reason why we were successful at Miami," Nero said. "We took every one of our revenue areas and attacked them. We'll do the same here."

   It's difficult to tell how the economic factors in southern Florida and the high-profile programs at Miami can compare to those in Maine.

   However, Maine and Miami have similar student enrollments, and Maine has one more varsity athletic team than Miami.

   "We had a great philosophy at Miami," Nero said. "Only fund 18 sports and give every one of them a chance to win a national champion- ship."

   Nero sat down earlier this week to talk about his transition at Maine and his view of the university's athletic department.

   Q: Was there one thing that attracted you to Maine?