ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 00:36:05 EDT
Jon wrote ...
> Channel 5 news announced on tonights show that Francis Nault eligibility
>has expired due to a tourney he played in the summer of 2000. He may return
>as an asst coach.
>
> As a Maine fan do these lapses make you want to pound your head on the
>wall?. I'm sick of this crap even though it appears no NCAA violations
>occured.

I don't understand.  (Nothing new!).   I mean the head pounding. :-)

Are you upset over the idiotic NCAA rule that steals a year of
eligibility if a hockey player plays hockey after turning 21, but before
entering college?

Are you upset with the idiots that would run a tournament, supposedly
for would-be college prospects, but not realize they were jeapardizing
the eligibility of one or some of them?

Are you upset with Maine for not educating Nault about this rule?  Was
Nault committed to Maine at the time?  How much "educating" is the
recruiter allowed or should be expected wrt the NCAA maze of rules?

Look at the positives: this really opens it up for Ryan as Captain!

I think it was a great and sincere offer by Maine to continue Nault's
scholarship and offer a student-assistant position.  What a great
opportunity that could be for Maine (short-term) and Nault (long-term)!

cheers, wayne

P.S.  With my son getting married at the same time, I'm hoping we get
      lots of reports from the Maine Hockey Banquet! ;-)