ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:35:42 -0800
UMass will go on to the FleetCenter with a stunning two game sweep of
Maine.

For Maine it will be three weeks until they play hockey again in the
NCAA Tournament.

No more adjectives needed to describe this, we all have talked about
coaches, players, other factors, etc.

Maine went down 3-0 in the first and to their credit they did not lay
down and die, they fought hard making it 3-2 in the third, but the hole
was too big to climb from and they fell.

Regardless of anything else that might happen we will always remember
the negative feeling of being swept out in the quarterfinals in your
own building.  Its never happened, but with the Hockey East competition
getting tougher all the time it may happen again.  But this was the
first and we will always remember it, just like we remember other years
failures like 1992 in the NCAA Tournament, even though we know that was
a great team.  We know this team is capable of better too, which is why
we are frustrated.

What is very odd feeling is that in three weeks Maine gets an
opportunity to play in the most important tournament of the year.  It
doesn't matter what their record is, or where/who they play.  4 games
to decide a national champion.

Time is an interesting thing...

52 seconds away from a national title last year

Three weeks to figure out for these guys to figure out who they are and
what they want to accomplish.

Whether West or East or whatever seed Maine gets in the NCAA Tournament
it doesn't matter.  They will have to look within and figure out who
they are and if they are capable of doing something special.

History is also a funny thing because despite everything this team
could still be remembered with some of the best.

Time... will tell.

-dt