ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wheeler, Timothy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:21:25 -0600
Hi everybody,

As a UNH alumnus who found this page while looking for an opportunity to
congratulate the Bears' fans on your recent national championship (which I
did last week, but once again - congratulations) I have read with amusement
the recent discussions regarding the alleged scandal involving three UNH
players and the alleged unfair treatment of UMaine's hockey program by the
media.

If I may, please give me some background here on claims that Maine is
unfairly battered in the media.  Let me state that I have been living in
Albuquerque, New Mexico since 1980, so I have been pretty isolated from
college hockey since before UMaine's program was worth talking about.  Only
recently through the internet have I started to renew my exposure to college
hockey in general and Wildcat hockey specifically.  I can't seem to find a
similar page on the UNH website, so I'm getting a Maine perspective on lots
of things!

I know that UMaine suddenly (at least from my perspective) went from not
even having a Division I program to winning the national championship, then
got in trouble with the NCAA (am I correct here).  There have been several
recent references on this page alluding to the media's portrayal of UNH
(good) and UMaine (bad).   So, with no intent to open up old wounds and rub
salt in them, I would appreciate some background here.  Is Maine reviled? Is
UNH fawned over?  Is it just a lot of sour grapes by a bunch of Boston
sports journalist (an oxymoron if ever there was one!) who resent a shift
from the old power center of college hockey?

By the way, when I left New Hampshire, Hockey East did not exist, and UNH
had some great rivalries with Dartmouth and UVM.  I take it that the UMaine
- UNH rivalry has surpassed those?.