From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:53:27 -0600
transport was ugly owing to the paucity of flights.  I could have
gotten two bump tickets easily, but did not want to risk not getting
there in time for the first game thursday.

the city and arena were both fun places.  i'd go back in a minute.
the luncheon was absolutely great.  Thanks, steve, for finding the
place and thanks, kathy for the arrangements.

the waterfall 30 minutes away.  What was unexpected was the awesome
snow sculptures caused by freezing mist.  the standard stuff was
spectacular, and the snow sculptures were just an added bonus.

Friday Hobey ceremony:  Done with class and dignity. Peter IMHO did a
good job, but had a tough act to follow as the cornellian who won the
humanitarian award did an excellent job.

the games:
1) before the long pause cornell absolutely dominated.  If ever there
   was a game turning on a single call, this was not it.
2) the long pause:
   as a press box volunteer i know both the referee and the replay
   official.  I did not tape the game, and all i got to see was one
   real time replay.  I am utterly convinced that the on ice official
   initially signalled goal and specifically responded to ayers'
   complaint about the high stick.  I am also convinced that the
   replay official saw convincing evidence that allowed him to
   overturn the call.  I am also certain that during the regualr
   season the goal would have stood.
3) after the pause, it was a 180 degree turn around. To Cornell's
   credit, it was only down 1-0 after the period.  I really thought
   Cornell would pull themselves back together after the intermission,
   but it wasn't to be.  UNH got a quick goal.  Then there was the
   goalie interferencve call almost 6 minutes in.  From my vantage
   point (on the glass next to the goal judge at that end) it
   appeared that Moulson was pushed into ayers by a new hampshire
   defender, but i have learned that these 62 year old eyes do not
   always see everything.  That, to me was the turning point in the
   game.

The other two games were fun and exciting to watch.  I donb't know
that i  can add much to the discussion at this point.

The Telecast:
A couple of complaints that i'll probably also pass on the the
Committee:
1) It is almost criminal to make the losers stand on the ine through a
   long celebration before the handshaking and the awarding of the
   hardware.  Apparently this was compounded by at least two
   commercial breaks.
2) I understand there is a rule about not showing replays in the arena
   while plays are under review, but why were the fans in the arena
   not shown the replays, not only of the goals, but of some of the
   more spectacular performances.

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]               http://cs.uccs.edu/~cdash
(719) 262-3492                  (fax) 262-3369