ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 19:06:55 -0500
Kevin Tompkins wrote:

> I do beg to differ though when you think Maine's D was not outstanding.
> Maine employed a defensive scheme whereby everyone on the ice had to
> focus on D and only think about offense when it was a clear opportunity.
> I realize that BC had quality chances but Maine responded to those
> challenges and came away with the tie.  To say that effort is not
> "outstanding" is not giving them their just due.  They were very
> undermanned and delivered a great performance so give credit where
> credit is due.  I, like a lot of others, have been very critical of
> Maine's defensive play.  However, when they play a game like that
> against a very quality opponent, my hat if off to them.  THE MAINE "D"
> WAS OUTSTANDING AGAINST BC!!!!  I'll even shout it from every rooftop
> around if I have to... ;-)

Here's my thinking.  The defense gave it everything they had so you
could
certainly give them an outstanding for effort, but I wouldn't give them
an outstanding for performance.  Alfie gets an outstanding for
performance,
but not the defense.  I don't think you can give up forty-something
shots
in general, and as many very high-quality shots in particular, and say
that
the defense was outstanding.  That's a bit too much grade inflation!
:-)

That is, if Alfie had not played as well as he did, Maine would have
lost
something like 3-0 or so.  Would the defense have been considered
outstanding
then?  I don't think so.

So to my mind, Alfie gets outstanding for effort and performance.  The
defense gets an outstanding for effort, but something less than that
for their performance.

But, hey, we may have to agree to disagree on this one.  :-)

Dave Hendrickson