ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 22:13:05 -0400
By Bill Stewart
Maine Campus Staff

The UMaine hockey team will hold its last scrimmage of the year in
front of a live crowd before they travel to Minnesota for a two game
series with the national power Golden Gophers.
The annual Blue-White game will be held at the Alfond Arena Saturday at
7 p.m.. Students with their sports pass and ID can pick up their
tickets at the ticket office prior to the game.
"We've been doing a lot of scrimmaging lately," said Maine head coach
Shawn Walsh.  "This is the last dress rehearsal for the guys."
With the season under two weeks away, Walsh said he is still feeling
out his team and that although the weekend will provide the fans
another look at the team, there is more at stake for the players.
"This scrimmage is the final one before I make final cuts," said Walsh.
 "So, it is important for the guys."
Walsh said that the team has been emphasizing defense during their
recent practices, in particular, the play of their forwards.
"We've been stressing the defensive priorities of our forwards,"
remarked Walsh.  "We still need to work out a few things."
"Wemre anxious to get under way," added Walsh.  "I am looking forward
to see how we do in front of a live audience which will help us prepare
for Minnesota."
The Hockey East coaches poll was also announced and the Black Bears
were pre-seasoned picked to finish third in the league.
Arch rival Boston University was picked to repeat as the leaguems top
team followed by the University of New Hampshire.  Rounding out the
rest of the poll was Boston College, Providence, Umass-Lowell,
Merrimack, Umass-Amherst, and Northeastern. U.S. College Hockey Online
released its pre-season top ten for the upcoming season. Maine was
ranked number seven.
1  North Dakota (30)
2  Boston University
3  Michigan State