ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 18:55:28 -0400
Here is the story on Filighera that will appeared in Wednesday's Maine
Campus.  He seems like a real positive guy, and is pretty ecstatic
about his current situation. I'm not just talking about the coaching
position either....he is getting married in two weeks......

The University of Maine announced  Monday that Rick Filighera will
assume the responsibilities of the first varsity head coach in the
women's ice hockey program.
"I've been involved in hockey for 21 years and never in my wildest
dreams did I think I would have a chance to coach at an institution
that has a great tradition both academically and with their ice hockey
program," said Filighera at the press conference.
A native of Buffalo, New York, Filighera has spent the last two years
serving as head coach of the women's program at Rochester Institute of
Technology.  His career record at RIT stands at 24-9-2.
He guided the Tigers to the 1995-6 ECAC runner-up crown. Last season
RIT was a semifinalist in the ECAC Tournament.
Filighera is a graduate of the State University of New York in
Brockport where he earned a degree in physical education.
Prior to accepting the job at RIT, he  coached Brockport High School,
where he enjoyed several successful campaigns.
In 1994, he led his team to their Section Championship and in 1995 was
voted coach of the year for the Monroe County High School Hockey League.
Filighera said that he started coaching at the youth level and worked
his way up to a collegiate varsity position.
"I always wanted to be a coach at this upper level so I worked very
hard starting at the youth level," Filighera said.  "I went the high
school route for a couple of years, and then I got the job at RIT and
it has just taken off from there."
"I kind of had a goal, just like I want to have a goal here. Right now
I am very excited about being here," added Filighera.
The university announced last June that it had elevated the women's ice
hockey program from club status to varsity.  The move was based, in
part, on a two-year status report conducted by the university to
increase gender equity in athletics.
According to the report, the percentage of women participating in
varsity athletics is projected at 43.3% for 1997-8.
The initial operating budget for the program is $186,000. In 1998-9 the
program will receive $56,000 for scholarships.
In 1999-2000 that number will jump to $130,000.  The following year,
the program will receive close to $200,000.
Last season the Black Bears competed in the ECAC Alliance, where they
finished 11-5-2 overall, 8-4-2 in ECAC games. The team finished fourth
in the ECAC Alliance Tournament.
Maine will be competing in the alliance this season as well, which
Filighera says will help the program's transition to varsity status.
"I don't think this year will be tough because I am familiar with the
alliance league," said Filighera.  "UMaine has had a club team that was
in this league."
 Although the women's program will not offer scholarships until the
1998-99 academic year, Filighera said that the program's recruiting
efforts will not be focused on a particular region.
"We'll be working in the New England prep School areas," Filighera
said.  "The advantage I bring to this program is being from the
Rochester area.  I have some ties back there as well."
"I have some familiar people in Ohio, Michigan, and southern Ontario. I
don't expect just to be regional. We'll try to do the best we can for
the school and the program."
The hockey program is currently applying to become a member of the ECAC
Women's hockey league for the 1998-9 season.
"I think where it will be difficult is next year when we have to jump
into that other league," said Filighera.  "That will be a big step for
us, and we're going to take this year to prepare ourselves for that."
As for the upcoming debut varsity season, which begins November 15th,
Filighera said he doesn't have a set  coaching style and only has some
basic guidelines for his team to follow.
"I ask my players to pay attention because they'll learn a lot from
me," Filighera said.  "I expect them to try to have fun and to keep
their grades up."
"I want them to work hard and [ask] that they are internally motivated.
I want players that are here because they love this game like I do," he
added.
Filighera also said that the success of the men's program should aid
the women in gaining exposure.
"The reputation of the men's program will help us get our program out
there," Filighera said.  "When people are thinking about collegiate
hockey, other than maybe Minnesota and some Boston colleges, the
University of Maine is right up there. That is an advantage for us."
"I am excited for their program," said men's hockey coach Shawn Walsh.
"Rick was an excellent candidate and he'll add a great deal of
professionalism to where they are trying to go."
Maine junior defenseman Christina Hedges said the team is excited about
the upcoming season, especially with the head coaching position no
longer vacant.
"We have a very enthusiastic team to start with, and being varsity will
give us the extra benefit and support that we need," said Hedges.  "He
(Filighera) seems really positive and is excited about the season."
"I'm excited about this, and I can't wait to start," concluded
Filighera.