ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:09:11 EDT
>On the radio broadcast Larry Mahoney noted that Maine was looking at
>recruiting Justin Pearce, the U-18 goaltender since Maine is in the
>market for a goalie for next year's class.
>
>He didn't fare so well in his "tryout" last night.

I didn't come away with that feeling at all!  I thought Pearce played
the 1st 2 periods VERY well, and though the 16 year-old was probably
quite nervous, he didn't look out of place at all to this observer.  I
hope Justin does come here!

It was also nice to see the USA team come back from an early 3-0 deficit
(Carlson in goal) to win in OT.  Maybe there weren't any NCAA tournament
locks in the Black Bear Classic this year, but I found the games quite
entertaining.  Fwiw, Maine often gets an extra game by playing a
Canadian University team.  They do get to play against older competition
that way, but the USA Under-18 team was to me just as good as all but
the very best New Brunswick to play here.

The USA team is a credit to amateur sport and will represent our country
well.  They are Juniors and Seniors at Ann Arbor High School, so to play
as well as they did against stronger Black Bears, 3-5 years their elder,
was something of an accomplishment.  I was happy to have them in the
tourny!

Lest it's not obvious, Maine is a top-notch, talented team, playing with
great enthusiasm and aggressiveness right now.  It's not the best Maine
team ever, but there's some potential for that outcome, IMHO.

Come watch the bears ... you won't be disappointed!

cheers, wayne