ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Woodbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:35:07 -0400
Actually, this is TV notes. Attended the 100th anniversary of the Colby
"C" Club tonight but taped the game on Fox Sports North and watched it
when I got home.

The very first noticeable thing was the jump in the skates. Maine beat
Minnesota to every puck. They got knocked down, but right back up with
feet moving. Great to see. And it continued though out the game. This is
what we did when we won national championships, or ALMOST won national
championships.

And the two most important words for 2003-2004 - JIMMY'S BACK. He looked
marbelous (to quote Billy Crystal). The newcomers looked great, they
didn't look like newcomers at all. This was a cohesive unit and they
played like it. While there were some great individual performances,
this was definitely a team win with Jimmy making some outstanding stops.

Johnson played great in net for Minnesota. Only one of the four goals
was a gift - the third off a faceoff he just wasn't ready for and it
went over a big hole over his shoulder. No one could have stopped the
other three Maine goals.

The third period was garbage time. They still continued skating, but the
name of the game at this point was don't get stupid and don't get hurt.
A lot of icing. And that's fine. They didn't need any more goals and
they didn't stop skating. Didn't really see any dumb Maine penalties,
although there were some emotional penalties, that usually evened out.
Expected.

As for the announcers, the play-by-play man is a homer, and that's fine.
So's Dan on the radio and Joe on TV. Doug Woog, former Minnesota coach
and color man, was very kind to Maine throughout the telecast, at one
point expressing his admiration for the way the program has become a
national power in a relatively short period of time.

Maine plays Wisconsin, an overtime winner over Nebraska-Omaha, tonight
for the championship. It's my understanding there's no TV available
tonight, not even from outer space. That's OK. I'm taking my wife to
Vinalhaven Island for our 43rd anniversary. And for those of you not
familiar with Maine, Vinalhaven is NOT where old recliners go to die.

I understand it's only the first game of the season, but I'm very
excited. Maine made a very strong statement Friday night. If they
continue to skate this way throughout the season, we'll be playing in
Boston at the end of the year, the only Division I team to finish the
season with a win.