ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 16:11:00 -0400
In the list discussion about who should wear "C" or "A" next year the point
seems to be missing:  What is it that these players will be expected to do
for the Maine team, beyond the minimal privileges the rules of hockey
confer upon on those wearing the letter on their jersey ?

We can speculate all we want about the action we THINK will result from
wearing the letter, but remember, someone confers this honor upon each
player for certain reasons.

Those reasons do change from coach to coach, year to year, team to team,
player to player, and even can change within the same season.  Is the move
more than just minor housekeeping ?

Does Coach expect certain things from those who wear the letter ?
Certainly.  But when the letter designations are announced for next year,
don't hold your breath for anything more detailed than perhaps a few
standard catch phrases in explanation.

I would argue that on every shift there is the need for a "leader" on the
ice.  Whoever wears the "C" can't do that...nor could up to two "A"'s.
Off the ice, I certainly can't see the dynamics of what goes on at
practices or other times when the team is together.

I'm still not sure what the makeup of next year's team will be, the recent
news of Nault's dismissal being just one more element of uncertainty.  More
changes will likely transpire concerning the composition of the team before
the next Blue and White Game, I feel certain. Hell, the play of the new
recruiting class may be of huge effect, and they haven't laced up the
skates at the Alfond yet.

It just seems that we ought to let the process take its course and leave
our trust in the program on this one.

I'm ready to spend money for a replica third jersey.

Dan