ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 11:29:52 EDT
>I am interested to hear more about why people feel Prestin Ryan should be
>named captain of this team.  Is it just to avoid some 10-minute misconducts
>because he'll actually be able to talk to the officials?

Gladly! No, it's not that, but perhaps is related.

   (I long for the days when we had a player or two or someone else
   close to the players and coaches write occasionally in this forum.
   It's fun to guess and spout off, as I'm about to do, but it's also
   fun to get a reality check now and again).  ;-)

First, I think critics of Prestin Ryan focus on his on-ice emotions and
striking back when fouled.  But I don't see this as defining Prestin
Ryan ...  just a part.

I think we can agree Prestin has developed great hockey skills and
continues to improve.  I think we can agree that, with the exception of
retaliation and mouthing off penalties, he is a terrific individual and
team player, putting an extraordinary effort into each game.

That's the start of a good captain, IMHO.

I don't know how Prestin deals with people ...  his teammates, staff.
But the energy and determination he shows on the ice tells me he could
be a leader.  He might have to be taught to do all the things that Shawn
Walsh taught so many captains about their job: prepare yourself, prepare
the team, prepare the media, prepare the fans, smooze with the donors,
research, plan, plan, execute.

In the past ten years, I think we've had at least 3 great captains.  I
only knew one personally, but I think (all three relatively shy
individuals) motivated their teams during their captaincy with actions
significantly in addition to their hockey play.  It's almost a
prerequisite for a team vying for a National Championship.

So why Prestin Ryan? It's just a hunch. ;-)

P.S.  My "3 great captains" all played after Maine's greatest captain:
      Jim Montgomery.

cheers, wayne