ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:38:50 -0400
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://sports.mainetoday.com/pirates/menendez/030409pirates.shtml

                     Wednesday, April 9, 2003

                     PIRATES NOTEBOOK: Jenn Menendez

                       Kariya coming from UMaine to Pirates

                        By  JENN MENENDEZ, Portland Press Herald Writer

                      Copyright  2003 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

 Another familiar Maine hockey star is about to join the Portland Pirates' supporting cast.

   University of Maine standout Martin Kariya practiced with the Pirates on Tuesday and likely will sign a tryout contract today.

   The Pirates believe Kariya's speed could provide a spark during the opening round of the Calder Cup playoffs, starting Thursday against the Manitoba Moose. He would be the second college player to join the team in the last week.

   Former University of North Dakota standout Kevin Spiewak signed on Friday and had a bang-up opening weekend, providing the Pirates with jump and energy.

   "Quite frankly, by watching Kevin and what he provided for us last week - that speed, cleverness and energy level - it was a real boost to our club," Portland Coach Tim Army said. "I thought Kevin played some great hockey and I think Marty can provide the same ingredients."

   Both Kariya and Spiewak have experience playing in high-pressure NCAA tournament games, which Army hopes will help them handle the pressure of the AHL playoffs. Both players are unlikely to play on special units or receive lots of ice time, but could be used to help the Pirates forecheck aggressively.

   "You know they've got a good foundation in how to play in a lot of pressure," Army said. "Not only do they bring physical and mental things, but they're also guys who have been through some very difficult games at the collegiate level."

   Army coached Kariya's oldest brother, Paul, for several years when he was assistant under former Anaheim Mighty Ducks coach Ron Wilson. He's seen Martin Kariya play only on television and once at Providence College.

   Kariya said he heard from the Pirates on Monday and jumped at the chance to try out for the team.

   "It's very exciting, a nice opportunity and I'm thankful to the organization for giving me a chance," Kariya said. "And it was pretty convenient; (it) took me two hours to get down here."

   Shawn Simpson, Washington's director of hockey operations, had seen Kariya play against Michigan in the NCAA tournament. He put in a call last week and finally connected with Kariya's agent on Monday.

   Simpson was trying to hammer out a deal Tuesday evening.

   "Our intention would be to keep him around and have him play for us (in the playoffs)," Simpson said. "As of now, our intention is to have Martin stay and see where it goes."

   Brothers Chris and Peter Ferraro played with Paul Kariya at UMaine in 1992-93. Chris was excited to have the youngest Kariya brother at practice.

   "It's exciting to have the young kids in now," Chris Ferraro said. "Right away you can see the excitement in their eyes. They're serious, focused and both of them can really skate. Hopefully we can use it to our advantage."

   INJURIES: Graham Mink sprained his wrist late in the game against Saint John on Sunday and is day-to-day. His wrist is immobilized, but he may play Thursday.

   Glen Metropolit (concussion) practiced Tuesday and was cleared to play. Andreas Salomonsson, on the other hand, did not practice, but Army is hopeful that the veteran winger will be available Thursday.

   THE ONLY PLAYERS currently in Washington who are eligible to play for the Pirates in the playoffs are Trent Whitfield, Josef Boumedienne and Stephen Peat. As of now, none are expected to be returned.

   Staff Writer Jenn Menendez can be contacted at 791-6426 or at: