ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:50:01 EST
>From:         John and Jean <[log in to unmask]>
>> PWR is the first cut, the committee the second....don't we all know
>> there are powerful people who just as soon would leave Maine out...
>
>However the size of Maine's fan base may help sway the committee.  ...

In NCAA D-I hockey, we are fortunate to have tournament selection via a
defined, almost entirely mathematical process.  No cigar smoking back
room antics.

Each league (CCHA, ECAC, HEA, MAAC, WCHA ...  CHA not (yet) counted)
gets to send a representative.  All leagues have chosen this team to be
their post-season tournament winner.  There will be 12 teams selected,
so 7 additional teams will be chosen.

The selection committee makes various calculations and comparisons on a
team by team basis from what it determines are "eligible teams".
"Eligible teams" varies a bit, year to year, but in general means teams
that have played enough D-I games and have at least a 0.500 record.
Exceptions to this include "emerging D-I programs" (Findlay is not
eligible this year) and a possible accounting for a "weak" league.  The
definition of "eligible teams" is important, because the formula that
follows may pick different selections, depending on the "eligible teams".
In general, a team wants to have performed well against each eligible
team.

The selection committee then makes a mathematical calculation to select
the 7 additional invitations to the NCAA tournament.

USCHO.COM has done an excellent job of defining this process and making
it known to all.  The NCAA Men's D-I Ice Hockey Selection Committee and
USCHO are to be congratulated for this, and I applaud them!

USCHO.COM also publishes a rating they call PWR.  This is a calculation
that has matched the NCAA Selection Committee results for many years.

Good guys, bad guys, fan-base or none have *no* part in *selection* to
the NCAA Tournament.  Seeding in the tournament is also done by a
process, but this process takes into account a number of factors such as
expected fan turnout.  Both the NCAA and USCHO.COM have made information
available on this process.

Perform on the ice, young men ... it's the only way to play.

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists, Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/