ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:23:21 -0500
Last Friday I sent an email to this list regarding the importance of the
upcoming series vs. Mass Amherst and lamented about Dan Kerluke's loss of a
scoring touch since his soph. year.  It seems that Niko, Mike Morrison and
Brendan were thinking the same thing when they called him with the
suggestion to dig out his old blades from his soph. year.

We all know that Dan went on to score 4 goals and become the HE player of
the week.  I was sent a seperate email this week from a list member asking
me to try and go 2 for 2 in selecting a Black Bear that might have a
break-out weekend.  When I tried to respond to the query I could not get
thru to his email, so I thought I would  put it up for discussion on the
list.

In reading about Lowell, it seems that size does matter!  The 4th line is
6-2, 6-0, and 6-5 and they play an aggressive forecheck and like to bang.
I would expect to see Shaneberger make an appearance this weekend.
However, the player that needs to step up and become the prime-time player
that we all know he is, is Niko.  He has the wheels and the hands, but has
not become the consistent scorer we need.  I feel he has the ability to
avoid the punishing hits and find some open space to create.

I also expect Mattias to have a good weekend coming off his International
play last week. He likes the physical game and was the right choice by
Shawn to play alongside of Marty and Schutte.  The question is can Reimann
take the punishment and what line will Whitehead send his bangers out
against to intimidate.  Good thing we have last change.

Again a minimum of 3 points is a must, and if we really want to make a
statement we take 4 and not only come close to clinching home ice, but
possibly find ourselves in great position to move within a point of 2nd
place.  Who'd a thunk it!

I'm happy to report that this is the weekend that my family is heading up
for our annual trip to the Alfond.  When I bought the tickets back in
October little did I think that this series would be so pivotal.  Can't
wait to see the Alfond on Saturday night!

Bob Fitta '83

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager
Harvard Magazine