ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tony Bessey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:31:38 -0800
Well, all I can say is this. I am proud that Cory has been honest with
everyone about his level of involvement in the entire misconduct situation.
I have held him in high regard for the level of sportsmanship that he brings
to each game and hold him in higher regard for being honest about a personal
shortcoming. It takes character to admit that kind of violation (without
prompting)and take responsibility for it. We all make mistakes and I think
he will learn from this one. Mr. Larose, you should be very proud of your
son for his honesty.

On a team front, I managed to watch all of the games this weekend with the
exception of UNH v Niagra, and both BU games. I was also very proud to be
present at the Fleet Center to watch Maine's amazing win over BC. I feel
that Maine is one of the strongest programs in the nation today because of
the way Coach makes his players play the game. All teams have superstars,
but only one team (Maine) has a coach that teaches and rewards teamwork.
Many sportscasters say that Maine has a fairly unimpressive team, but fact
of the matter is that TEAM, unimpressive players and all (sportscasters
words not mine), is going to the Frozen Four. Even in 1993 our stars were
better as a team than as individuals.

I have been a UMaine hockey fan since 1990 and I was an undergraduate when
we won in 1993 and took runner up honors in 1995. I knew that Maine would
rise again after the troubles, and was proud to see them win the National
Championship last year. Today more than ever I firmly believe that Coach
Walsh is one a our greatest assets, for he is one of the best sports
psychologists of all time. I think that we should do as Dan Doucette
suggested and have a tape created of all the big goals scored by Maine's
many colorful players. I think such a tape should be presented to the team
before they leave for Providence for inspiration. It could also be a work in
progress with additions made in each year following.

I have belonged to this group for several years and I don't post often. So I
guess I have said my all for this season. I cannot be in Providence in two
weeks, but my heart and sole will always be with my Black Bears. M-A-I-N-E
GO Blue!!!!!!!!!! The team from the college of my heart always!

Tony Bessey
UMaine Class of 96