ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Robert M. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:06:00 -0400
There were 32 or 34 alumni that returned for the weekend festivities. Some
of them are: John Baker, Marc Son, Ray Jaques, Eric Weinrich, Jason
Weinrich, Patrice Tardif, Martin Mercier, Garth Snow, Scott King, Guy Peron,
Mario Thyer, Scott Pellerin, Jeff Libby, Kent Salfi, Joakim Wahlstrom, Peter
Maher, Steve Tepper, Bruce Major, Marcus Gustafsson, Blair Allison, Blair
Marsh, Mike Golden, Chuck Texeira, Bob Beers, Kevin Mann, Greg Hirsch, Jean
Yves-Roy, Scott Smith, Oleg Cytowicz, Steve Santini and Paul Giacalone.
This is the first I've met some of these gentlemen and the second time for a
few. I am again impressed with their kindness and their willingly submitting
to the countless people pulling them here and there; for a picture, for an
autograph or to recount the many "Do you remember when?" stories. They were
humble, friendly and just all around nice guys!

There were between 1,200 to 1,500 fans at the alumni hockey game on Sunday.
The Alfond was a wonderful place to be on such a hot day. The game was a
typical all-star / alumni game. No penalties, no offsides and not much
hitting. It did get a little testy toward the end of the game as the White
team made a late run at the powerful Blue team. However, Blue scored an
empty net goal and won 11 to 9. Linda and Christy Mosley got a lot of work
operating the foghorn!

The golf tournament on Monday was the first alumni golf event where the
field was 100% sponsors. I'm sure that was annoying to some but it speaks
really well of the support for the Black Bears. There were 35 fivesomes for
an 8:30am shotgun start (for you non-golfers like me; that means that
golfers started at every tee on each of the 18 holes). The tournament was
held at Penobscot Valley Country Club under beautiful blue skies and temps
in the high 70s.

Many, many volunteers helped pull off what I would call a very successful
weekend. Noni Daly, Jean Goss, Sarah Dubay, Betty Donovan, Betty Jamison,
Greg Jamison, John Gabarra, Georges Berube, John Daly, Linda Mosley, Christy
Mosley, Denny Wallace, Rebecca Wallace, Mark Lothian, Jack Hart, Cathy Hart,
Mike St. Thomas, Paul Druppel, Mike Towns, Bob McGary, Alan Miller, Dr.
David Douglass, Vinal Smith, Len Cole, John Vickery, Jr., Gene Reilly, Shawn
Walsh, Grant Stanbrook, Nate Leaman, Scott White, The Rink Rats, Larry Van
Peursen and I'm sure a hundred others that I 'm forgetting.