ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Adam Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:27:52 -0500
[log in to unmask],NNTP writes:
> I can't
>believe how, as the success of their program has risen, the behavior of
>their
>fans has plummetted.

        I agree with you to the fullest extant!  I went to the March fifth
game at UNH and was lucky to get out of there alive!  I have a younger
brother who goes to school at UNH and I wanted to say hi to him between
periods.  Apparently this was a huge mistake.   While I was trying to
talk to him, students began throwing projectiles at my friend and I as
we stood there helpless.  Objects as varied as Oranges to sticks of
deodorant where hurled in our direction.  Upon being hit numerous times
I decided that I'd have to forget about talking with my brother and get
the hell out of that area.  This was easier said then done.  As we were
walking up the stairs we were confronted by a drunken (and rather
large) UNH student who decided he would toss my much smaller friend up
the stairs rather then let him walk.  Then he confronted me, and
knowing he had the backup of hundreds of rowdy hockey fans, he decided
to push me from behind as I tried to walk up the stairs.  The fans
continued to throw objects at us until we finally got out of what was a
very scary situation.  I will never go back to the Whitmore.
        A lot of people are very excited that the frozen four consists of 3
Hockey East teams this year.  It really proves which is the toughest
college hockey division in the country.  However, it's extremely hard
for me to route for UNH in even the slightest way.  I don't think their
fans deserve a winning team.