ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:27:30 EST
I listened to WMEB from 5-6pm Friday (via RealAudio).  This was also the
first I've heard Brian and company.  I was quite impressed!  The
broadcast was easy to listen to and entertaining.  Not only do you the
feel that you (the listener) understand the details, but also the
overall flow of the game.  Obviously the announcers prepared themselves.

With no disrespect for Dan Hannigan of WZON, because Dan is now
excellent and I very much like him personally, the WMEB coverage was a
better show than Dan's first season on WZON!

My only complaint was the description of the Hobie Baker Award as the
MVP of college hockey.  We're so used to hearing this (misinformation)
that I probably wouldn't have noticed, but the question did sound
"prepared", so I expected more.

IMHO, $2,000 is not out of line for what I would expect for costs.
Since it is not budgeted, it must be raised.  If it can be great!
Brian: Perhaps President Hoff's office has some discretionary funds?
Perhaps teaming with the Athletic Department can minimize costs?  Is the
$2,000 for 2 people?  If so, would having the color analyst in the
studio be workable and not a violation of ESPN rights?  Good luck!

Although my internet connection was flawless, I was on campus, just a
LAN or three away from the server.  At home I can often only get a 21K
connection, so the (RealAudio3) 16Kbps stream probably wouldn't have
faired so well.  Is a (RealAudio4) 6kbps stream a possibility?

I listened to the Denver game via the latter and was even able to do
some other net activity before the replay was affected.

Maine Hockey on the internet;  Maine Hockey in the Frozen Four;  what a
time to be a Maine Hockey fan!

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3