ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:39:06 -0500
Here is the John Markell interview story that ran in Wednesday's Maine
Campus.

        While most of the Ohio State students are enjoying their spring break
this week and some fun in the sun, Buckeye hockey coach John Markell is
concocting a game plan that will keep his squad on ice.
        As their NCAA Tournament matchup looms ahead against the University of
Maine, the Buckeyes are looking to build upon last season, which
culminated with a trip to the Final Four in Boston.
        But Markell knows the road back to national semifinals isn't easily
paved and yesterday he took the time to talk about his Buckeyes and
what he knows about the Black Bears. The following are excerpts from
the interview.
Were you ever nervous, coach,  about not making the tournament?
"Oh yeah, you're always nervous when you're a bubble team. I kind of
thought that if [Northern Michigan] got in we would get in because we
had them head-to-head."
So, how come Northern stayed out in the West region while you were
shipped out East?
"I don't know. It could be for draw factor in terms of crowds. Maybe
they think Ohio State and Michigan can draw out east. But so be it."
When you say "Maine" what is the first thing that comes to mind?
"Cold weather. No, I'm just kidding, I think they are a puck-moving
transition team that tries to catch you on some defensive breakdowns
and tries to get you on odd-man rushes all the time. I know Maine has
had a great season. They've been coming on each and every year. We
think they are at their level, though."
From what you know, do you feel you match up well with Maine?
"Yeah, I think we do. We have fast hockey players. They play a
different type of defense than we do. They play a man-to-man defense
and we're used to that physical play out here in the CCHA. I know some
teams have had moderate success with Maine when playing the trap and
we're a trapping team. I think we match up well."
How much do you know about Steve Kariya?
"He's the type of player who can be dynamic. He creates a lot of their
offense and hopefully we can contain him and he's a spirited little
fellow. He's a concern of ours. You have to be concerned with him
coming in. He's definitely a concern of ours, but we're not gearing our
whole system around him."
What characterizes your team?
"Well, we're a transition team and hopefully we'll play a patient game
and if someone does get a jump on us then we adjust. We've had success
against hockey clubs that have been in the top 10 and/or we feel that
they better than we are."
Could you talk a little about Maine coach Shawn Walsh and what he does
for the game.
"Shawn has learned the game not from playing but from coaching. He's
had some great success from coaching. It's a tribute to him not
learning the game as a player. He's been through some down times and
has had some peaks and valleys in his career. But we still talk once in
awhile and play golf a little bit."
Well, honestly, who is the better golfer?
"I'm the better golfer, but you see, Shawn will win the game because he
won't lose the game on the first tee. You understand what I mean. He'll
make sure that all the games you're going to play he's going to come
out on top, and of course he marks the card. We have a lot of fun and
we both enjoy the game. I've beaten him a couple of times. His secret
is on the first tee. You don't tee it up until he's got his game right."