ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:25:17 -0500
Deron wrote:

>I was in Boston so I did not find out about this till I
>returned home, but according to someone who did watch Maine-BC (very
>trustworthy, university employee), the announcers were talking about
>how Walsh downplayed the game PRIOR to the game.
>
>In fact, they talked about it all night and even made some "mocking"
>remarks... even during UNH/BC... which I watched in person and also on
>tape-delay.  Now a lot of you have jumped up to tell me not to make
>accusations.. they are not mine, but that of Fox Sports New England,
>and I *highly* doubt they would talk so much about if they weren't
>sure it was actually said.

Whoever thought Fox Sports NE was the paragon of journalistic integrity,
only reporting what they "knew" to be true, with independent verification
(something being "actually said"), makes a huge error.

Come on, "reporters" Sean Grande and Cap Raeder ?  How many on this list
have doubted their objectivity after watching even one game ?  It's no
secret that Grande, dislikes Shawn Walsh immensely.  Would it be below him
to "embellish" a story a bit about the pre-game speech by the Maine coach ?
Grande works at WEEI sports radio in Boston, where their premier host,
Eddie Andelman, has been known on occasion over many years to "plant"
stories just to make good radio.

Considering what we know of the "original" source, then Deron's comments
about what Coach Walsh MIGHT have actually said would be perhaps not even
been worth a mention in the first place. And considerig the response on the
list, one would not be unsympathetic to Deron feeling a little gun-shy for
making the initial post.

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***