ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Lisa Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:36:27 -0800
---Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Maine played
> a great game against BC and lost, it happens, don't
dwell on it and prepare
> to reload the car and have a great weekend in
Worcester!  See you there!

The only Maine games I have seen this year are those
which have been televised on FOXNE.  I am
disappointed with the final outcome of the Maine/BC
game but I was still impressed with the way Maine
played the game.  It was one of the best hockey games
I have watched in a long time.  I was surprised to
read that others were disappointed in Maine's play.
It makes me wonder what calibre of play I must have
missed during the other games.

I though Maine's offense was unbelievable.  35 shots
on goal and several odd man rushes.  Most of the
passes were well planned and accurate.  They played
at top speed for at least 45 minutes of the game,
end-to-end action.  This was definitely an offensive
game.

The biggest concern is special teams.  As soon as
Maine got on the power play their entire game fell
apart.  Yes, BC has one of the best penalty kills of
anyone in college, but Maine could not complete
simple passes or keep the puck in the zone.  There
seemed to be a complete mental breakdown whenever we
were one man up.  As one of the announcers said, it
would be better if Maine could just turn down the
penalty & keep playing with both teams at full
strength.  Hopefully the powerplay goal at the end of
the game got the monkey off their backs as they go
into the tournament.

Lastly, Hockey East boasts 3 teams in the top 6
nationally.  Although this team has no playoff
experience, they certainly have plenty of experience
playing top teams.  If they can pull their special
teams back on track, I think they have an excellent
chance on making it to the frozen four.