ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:18:18 -0500
I know it's fun to be a Monday, or in my case, Tuesday morning
quarterbacks, but let's put the questioning to rest!  Shawn has been
coaching Maine teams for 15 years, he knows what strings to pull and
depending on the group of kids he has he pulls them differently.

Coach Walsh's comments in the media room after the first UNH game were
along the same lines.  He said that whether they won the regular season
crown it was not the be all and end all, now while these comments may be
suprising to some let's reflect on them.  Let's say that instead Coach
pumps the team up for UNH, they go in and get smoked, emotionally they are
crushed, but Coach then tells them to forget about it the Hockey East
Championship is more important, again they lose, this has a much more
profound affect on their egos.

Instead Coach has been focusing on what he always focuses on, a national
title!  That's not to say that we may go into Worcester and lose to either
Ohio State or Clarkson, but we are positioned to have an opportunity to
play for the National Championship, the teams and fans ultimate goal.  This
doesn't mean the team was not trying or didn't want to win these games or
as someone pointed out why did we made the trek to the FLEET.  Maine played
a great game against BC and lost, it happens, don't dwell on it and prepare
to reload the car and have a great weekend in Worcester!  See you there!

Bob Fitta '83

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager
Harvard Magazine