ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:33:16 -0500
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Jacob Metzler writes:
> >Our band did sound good though.
>
> Maine's band took both UNH's and BC's to school. No doubt about it.
> But, good bands don't win national championships.

Just curious as to what folks thought of the national anthem...it was sung
by Merrimack singer Jill Martin.  She is only 13.  When the league guys
heard her sing one night this season they asked her to sing at the Fleet.
It was a great opportunity and honor for her.  It will not be the
last...she won a regional competition and is going to Las Vegas in October
for the nationals.  Someday we will be buying her CDs. :-)

I thought that with all the times I have heard her, she was even more
amazing before such a big crowd.  It seemed to really get everyone going.

A nice moment was at the last home game when she came out and captain
Reggie Stringer skated over to give her an autographed jersey on behalf of
the team.  Jill put on the jersey for her last home performance of the
season.  I think it is safe to say she will be back next year. :-)

One of her teachers is also an assistant football coach at Merrimack, that
is how she was "discovered".