ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:32:40 EST
The official selections and seedings are now out:

         West              East
     (Madison, WI)    (Worcester, MA)
-------------------+--------------------
            NoDak  1  UNH
      Michigan St  2  Clarkson
               CC  3  Maine
               BC  4  Denver
              NMU  5  Michigan
           St Law  6  OSU
-------------------+--------------------
In each region, #4vs#5 & #3vs#6 w/winners vs #1 & #2, respectively.

So Maine will play Ohio State with the winner playing Clarkson with
the winner going to the Frozen Four.

So my prediction wasn't quite right (I had NMU and St Law reversed ...
this probably happened due to varying selection of "teams on the
bubble").  I also only gave the BC/Denver switch a postscript
possibility.  Obviously this year the committee thought avoidance of the
WCHA and HEA 2nd round matches were more important than probable lost
revenue of BC playing in Worcester.  The NCAA had better watch out or
they might lose some of their reputation for living for the almighty
dollar.  :-)

IMHO Maine should like their draw.  Given season results, we should be
better than Clarkson, except we'll have to play a tough, defensive
oriented OSU the previous night.

Congratulations to all teams and best wishes to all fans lucky enough to
view the tournament in person!

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3