ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Metzler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:15:48 -0500
Congratulations. That was well put.  And made me think of a few things
I didn't think about before.  I agree that no matter how much we scream
and act like idiots in the stands that really can't make up for a night
off by our guys on the ice. Some nights we are going to be the bad news
bears instead of the mighty Black Bears.  People leaving early or not
cheering doesn't cause it to happen.  As a fan you can't prevent a let
down on the ice as much as it hurts to see it happening out there.

You mentioned something that I know I didn't think about and probably
no other student that contributes to this list did.  That point being
that many of the fans that come to these games have been coming for a
long, long time.  Unlike those of us students who are ecstatic for
this, the best team we have had here in quite a few years(based on
national ranking).  So we are crazy for them but for those that have
been around awhile they have seen better.  None of us students have
seen a Black Bear that has gone on to play in the NHL although some of
our current crop may do so eventually.  My point is that we were not
privileged to see the Kariyas, Roys, Pellerins, Ferarros, Snows,
Dunhams of yesteryear and be awed by their presence and talent.  My
friends and I are continually talking about how amazing it must have
been to see Paul score 100+ points...that's unreal now that we have
some context...

I watched that 92-93 team on TV but I was freshman in high school and
yeah it was great but it didn't have the impact that it would have now.
 That's why we students are eager.  We are quick to jump on the
dissenters, because although they may have tasted victory in years
past, we have yet to have a team we can call our own.  Not only has the
team on the ice been on probation for the last few years but so has the
team in the stands.  Its hard to root for a team that you know no
matter what, is going no where.

SO it's like you said after 400+ games the ups and downs are not so up
and down as they used to be.  But for those of us that are really
tasting victory on a national level for the first time it's sweet and
it's hard when everyone doesn't seem to show the same enthusiasm and
especially after a rare loss.  Notice most of those first messages were
posted the night of the game rather than a few days after when we all
cooled off and realized that this wasn't the end of the world.

It's too bad that some students have trouble with older fans and vice
versa.  I mean we are all there to have a good time and enjoy the game.
 It shouldn't be that tough to get along.  I mean if you are a student
then it makes no sense to go and sit in the first 2 or 3 rows of the
balcony cause you know that the true owner of the seat is going to come
 and instead of making a big stink then you should just move to a
different seat(preferably what's on the ticket).  And for the season
ticket holders, there is no need to get nasty with the students I am
sure you would do the same thing if you could. And you probably did
back in your day.  I realize that not all the STH's and students have
had bad experience with each other, but a few bad experiences spoil it
for everyone.  For the most part I see STH's laughing at some of the
cheers and cheering right along with us.

We all pay our share to get a seat in Alfond so let's just cheer loud
for the boys in blue and white and bring a national championship banner
back to Orono. -Jake '00

p.s. I just thought of this too, as a student, who for obvious reasons
won't be heading to Anaheim(should it come to that), I hope that those
fans that have the means of going can bring the enthusiasm of the
20-somethings for a couple of nights in April.