ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:44:03 -0500
I wanted to add my two cents worth to Cathy Hart's comments about the
students and the noise in general at the two Providence games. I also
wanted to go up and congratulate the band members and students. I
thought their constant cheering was great. It is really nice to see that
the Alfond can again be as loud as it once was. I particularly like the
jingling of the car keys at the end of the third period. I have spoken
to some of the hockey team members and they described how important
crowd noise is to them. Their legs are a little lees tired, their
muscles are a little less sore and there is a bit more snap in their
hits and shots.

The only sympathy I have for the STH is on the subject of "foul"
language or cheers. I don't understand the need for the negative
cheering or the "You S&*K" cheer. This is still a family event and the
foul language is inappropriate. I think if you talked to hockey players
they would tell you the negative type of yelling doesn't bother them
when they are the road team. As a matter of fact, I know some of the
UMaine players use that negative kind of garbage as their motivation
when they play on the road. Why do you think UMaine plays so well at
UNH? I was saddened to hear our own fans chanting for Alfie after
Providence's second goal Saturday night. No coach worth his salt is
going to make a goalie change on the chanting of the crowd. And no home
team goalie wants to hear his crowd yelling for his replacement. I DO
think the positive cheering is a boost for the home team. I think that
was incredibly obvious Saturday night. I wish I knew who the student
cheering section leader is because I've heard a few other chants that I
think we could adopt as our own with the help and leadership of the
student fans. What I say to the STH in the balcony is this; Thank
goodness the students are there...It is for the best....They are doing a
great job cheering...If you can't beat 'em, Join 'em! Cheer LOUD, Cheer
often and Cheer for Maine!