From:
Steve Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 1994 16:46:12 -0500
On Thu, 10 Feb 1994, Steve Moerland wrote:

> Also, I would keep in mind that
> despite having extremely talented teams over the last 5 years or so, Red's
> post-season record is abysmal.

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment.  Michigan has beaten some
pretty good teams to reach the Final Four the last two years, and in last
year's case had the eventual champion Maine down in the third period of
the semi-final.  Now, if we want to talk about the CCHA playoffs, I think
the thing here is that LSSU has simply had Michigan's number.  Last year's
close-checking game, the 3-1 "Madeley-standing-on-his-head" game the year
before, and the Beddoes OT goal the year before that don't make for
'abysmal' records, just a record devoid of championships.  That word
might apply better to a team who hasn't made it past the first round for
several years. I think winning the regular-season title twice in three
years isn't too shabby (Not to mention six straight GLI titles --
non-league tournament action, although not post-season)...

There's always some luck involved in winning titles, and perhaps this year
Michigan will be luckier than the other teams involved.  We shall see.

--Steve.
U-M '92