Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 1994 14:24:07 -0400
        I agree with everyone who said that what Joubert did was totally wrong.
The truth is that Jacques is an athlete who is admired by fans who are cheering
for his team or the opposition.  Joubert should know that the fan who said that
to him would probably give anything to play DIV I hockey.  When a fan yells at
the opposing team it is that persons goal to get a rise out of that player or
to get him thinking about something other than the game.  Joubert should have
just remembered that "sticks and stones........words will never hurt me"  I've
always thought that players who don't ignore fans when hearing a nasty comment
are immature for not knowing that they are way above the person yelling at
them.
        Now, if that kid would have hit Joubert with something or thrown
something at him that would have been a different story.  I am not an advocate
of throwing stuff or intending to injure players.  However, a hockey game is
not a ballet so fans have the right to scream, yell, and say what they want.
Referees catch the most abuse of all and you don't see them hitting people or
talking back.  They just go about their business knowing that people in the
stands are only trying to get their mind's off the job at hand.  I believe
players should be no different.  They should just ignore the negative comments
and just concentrate on the game.
        Finally, I disagree with those people who said that fans should not
verbally abuse players.  At home if a player scores a goal or makes a good play
the place goes wild and that guy feels awesome.  Now, if that same player goes
on the road he should expect some abuse just like his fans give to other teams.
Taking the good with the bad is something these guys should expect to do.
After all, they are doing something they love and getting an education for free
because of it.

                                                                -Bob Hoffman