From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 16:04:00 PST
From: Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>...

>  I got to watch periods 2 & 3 of the Fri Mich-LSSU game and it was
>impressive. Although Mich is very talented, it also appeared that they were
>using an "unusual" power play alignment some of the time. Is the 3 men up
the
>middle (low slot, high slot, blue line with wings on the boards/mid zone)
>intentional? It struck me that this alignment coupled with rotation could
>really foul up the efforts to cover men in a box defense and make it easier
>get good shots and rebounds. Any team that has scored on 54 of 161 power
play
>attempts with no SHA must be doing a lot of things well, but has Mich gone
>beyond "traditional" power play strategy? John?

Hmmm.  I guess the answer is yes.  At times, Michigan will set up with Brian
Wiseman at the point, just to the right of center ice.  David Oliver camps
to the left, a little higher than mid-zone.  In this position, Oliver
receives a lot of one-timers from Wiseman.  Brendan Morrison is on the right
side, a little deeper in than Oliver.  He and Wiseman tend to quarterback
the play.  Mike Knuble (17 ppg) sits in the high slot and looks for the pass
from the right side (i.e. he generally has his back to Oliver).  Jason
Botterill camps out in front of the goaltender.  As Rick mentioned, Michigan
has 54 ppg in 22 games and the above five players have 41 of them.  Even if
this group sets up with two point men (Wiseman on the right, Oliver on the
left), Oliver usually works his way deeper into the zone as the play
progresses.  Of course, the zero SHA is in part due to some solid
goaltending.  There have been a few 2-on-1's with Wiseman back and 2-on-2's
with Wiseman and Oliver defending.  It's the chance you take having five
forwards on the ice.

Michigan's second unit is more traditional with two D's at the point.
 Steven Halko mans the right with Harold Schock (who recently replaced Blake
Sloan in this category) at the left point.  With Ryan Sittler injured, the
forward line has lately been comprised of Kevin Hilton (C), Mike Legg (LW)
and Warren Luhning (RW).  In total, a group that consists of 3 freshmen and
2 sophomores.  (The first unit is 2 Srs, 1 Jr and 2 Frosh.)

  John H
  U Mich