From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1993 15:12:00 PST
5 November 1993, Norris Center, Sault Ste Marie MI
Michigan 4 LAKE SUPERIOR 2

 1:45 M Hilton 3 (Sinclair)
 4:08 M Botterill 6 (Wiseman,Oliver) pp
 7:09 M Botterill 7 (Wiseman,Oliver)
33:14 M Hilton 4 (Legg,Shields) pp
38:31 L Aldridge 2 (Miller,Beddoes) pp
49:29 L GTallaire 1 (Wetherill)

Shots: UM (14-8-3--25) LSSU (12-10-11--33)

Goaltenders: UM Shields, LSSU Sass

Power plays: UM 2 for 5, LSSU 1 for 9

Three stars: 1-Shields, 2-Hilton, 3-Botterill

Attendance: 3587 (New LSSU record)

COMMENTS:
  -- For anyone traveling from lower Michigan to upper Michigan, take my
advice
and check your gas gauge before crossing the bridge.  A few miles north of
St
Ignace, I discovered the hard way that my car gets 442 miles a tankful.
 Yes, I am
an idiot.
  -- I did make it to the game.  Michigan jumped all over Paul Sass early,
who did
not look particularly sharp spelling the injured Blaine Lacher.  When UM
took a
4-0 lead, they went into their defensive shell.  Those who were in Milwaukee
last
year will remember it, but this time it worked.
  -- The officiating was horrid.  Graff and Domb???ski handled the game.  I
was
unaware that goaltenders may shoot the puck into the crowd at will.  This
must
be an Upper Peninsula rule.  UM got the better of the no calls, as Shields
thrust
it into the crowd 2-3 times in the first period.  As for the penalties,
there were bad
calls in both directions, with LSSU getting the better of it (9 power plays
to 5).
Once Michigan had a three goal lead they couldn't keep five skaters on the
ice.
  -- Don't count out the Lakers.  Yes, they came up with zero points at home
this
weekend (3-2 loss to Bowling Green on Saturday), but they alternated their
and #3 netminders due to Lacher's injury.  There isn't a team out there this
season
that will be as dominant as Maine a year ago, but I still feel the Lakers
are among
the elite and will make an appearance in St Paul.

CLASS ACT OF THE WEEKEND (YEAR):
  -- As many of you know, I like Steve Shields but I don't think he's the
best
goaltender in Ann Arbor.  Chris Gordon is our #2 man, and like Shields, is a
senior.  Gordon hails from Sault Ste Marie, home of the Lakers, but has
never
started a game against his hometown team.  Friday night was his last chance
at LSSU.  Chris had about 60 family members and friends in attendance, but
as usual never came close to entering the game.  After the game, I noticed
Chris
search for LSSU captain Clayton Beddoes.  He spoke with Beddoes following
the handshakes, and what followed I will never forget.  As the Wolverines
left
the ice, Chris remained at center ice amid the LSSU team and saluted the
crowd
with the Lakers.  It brought a wonderful cheer from those still in the
arena.

BUTTHEAD OF THE WEEKEND (YEAR):
  -- Michigan Head Coach Red Berenson.  See above.  (It had to be said.)

INJURY REPORT:
  -- On Saturday night, Steve Shields injured his knee at Ferris State (one
night
too late).  Gordon relieved and earned the 5-2 win.  From the radio, the
injury
did not appear too serious as Shields remained in the arena in civilian
attire
with crutches.  (I don't wish anything bad on Steve...it's just ironic that
Gordon
gets in one night after he should have.)

EASTERN MICHIGAN REPORT:
  -- EMU swept Central Michigan this weekend, 4-1 (at Saginaw/CMU) and 11-1
(at Plymouth/EMU).  The EMU Eagles are now 9-1-0 on the season.

  John H
  U Mich (5-0-1)

Central Collegiate Hockey Associate (CCHA) Abbreviation Guide (AG):

  Univ of Alaska-Fairbanks (UAF)
  Bowling Green State Univ (BG or BGSU)
  Ferris State Univ (FSU)
  Univ of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)