From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1993 00:40:28 EDT
I'll confirm what Ryan has reported.  Maine never did appeal the Cal
Ingraham Fall 1991 ineligibility, but has been providing corrected
information.  For example, Cal took CED courses at Bangor Community
College, but *not* 2 year courses (as a couple of Maine officials
erroneously reported to the NCAA last week), but course credits that
could and were accepted when Cal entered a 4-year program at Maine.

For its trouble, the NCAA has asked (yes, folks, ...  asked) Maine to
forfeit the 14 games that Cal played in during the Fall of 1991.  (Cal
had previously been suspended for the first 14 games this season).

As Mike states, the forfeits change the results of 5 HE games.  Ryan's
reference to the decision next month on Maine losing the 1991-92 regular
season title refers to a Hockey East decision.  The league meets next
month and is expected to take up the matter.

Maine has now appealed Cal's suspension (but not the forfeits),
according to AD Mike Ploszek.  An NCAA decision on the appeal is due
next week.  The AD went on to suggest that the NCAA officials
investigating the problem had no latitude in penalty assessed, yet the
appeals committee has some leeway.

Just to set the record straight, the coaching staff had nothing to do
with the error, yet Athletic Department staff would have normally been
expected to catch such an error (before a violation took place).
(Although I've talked with the Maine NCAA Compliance Officer for many
minutes now, I must admit that I've done a lot of nodding but don't
completely understand how this happened.  How could Maine and Cal have
*not* figured when he would be eligible after transfer ...  and why
didn't they react when/if he then was deemed eligible one semester
early?

Drop the Puck!
wayne

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]

P.S.  Maine takes on Canadian National Champion Acadia University Friday
      evening at Alfond Arena in Orono.