Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1993 11:08:01 -0500
Should the ECAC's move to Albany?

From an emotional standpoint, I'd say no. I like it being so close
to Clarkson and the drive is only an hour and a hlaf so a lot of CU
fans are going down.

From an objective standpoint, however, it makes more sense to have
it in Albany. It is a more central location and a bigger building

I think one of the main concerns the ECAC may have had was walkup
attendance. I know there has been much discussion on this list and
the AHL list as to why Albany isn't a sports area. The ECAC knows
that no matter where it is, they are going to get the contingents
from the schools. The more centralized it is, the larger each
contingent will likely be. However, the ECAC may be concerned with
the walkup attendance. Will people in the capital region show if
RPI is not there? I know a lot of people from Potsdam who would still have gone
to Placid if Clarkson hadn't made it. THe north country is hockey mad.
The capital region definitely is not. This is something that may
have concerned the ECAC. However, I do think that Albany redeemed itself
 in that area with the 1992 NC$$'s. They drew around 13,000. Which is
even more impressive since there were NO teams from the east. Granted,
not as impressive as Milwaukee but still, not too bad.

Another thing that the ECAC may or may not care about is Placid's
proximity to Clarkson and SLU. I know this SHOULDn't matter but it
might. Clarkson has made the ECAC Final Fore ~21 times in the tournament's
~32 year history. I know SLU has also been very successful. Many years,
they both make it to the Final Fore. When they both make it, and the final
fore is played in a site near both campuses, you can bet tickets won't
have a hard time selling. There is really no other area where BOTH ECAC teams
have been so successful in reaching the ECAC semis. I know from an
objective standpoint, this shouldn't matter but money talks...

On another note, I know this year's NC$$ Final Fore is in Milwaukee
and next year is St Paul. But has the site for the 1995 Championships been
announced yet? Was it Cincinnati as someone hinted?